Sunday, October 11, 2009

A "novel" endeavor..

No, no, no,no, nooo!!! Why, oh why?! I can't believe it! What was I thinking?? I'm doomed!
 
It all started last night. There I was minding my own business. Reading a blog, choosing another from the ones that commented, going to their blog, picking another from the commenter’s, going to their blog... I was so far into the deep recesses of Blogdom, I could NEVER have backtracked my way out.

Suddenly up pops a little message on my screen. I have a note from Tori.  Ah Tori,  a dear friend and fellow blogger, she has been most helpful in guiding me through the do's and don'ts of blogging. Well let's see what "The Tor-ster's" up to tonight:

Hi Pam,
I don't know if you've ever heard of this: http://www.nanowrimo.org/.  You write a novel in a month. It starts November 1 and ends on the 30th (duh) . I am seriously considering doing this. I'm wondering if you'd like to take this crazy journey with me.
Tori

Let's see what I said:
Gee Tori, I’ve never even considered writing a book, I've got no ideas. 50,00 words? Wow. That seems like a lot of time and effort to put into something that would be awful. (See? See my response right there? I am using my deductive reasoning skills. It doesn't happen often. It's my inner-self quietly telling me no. No Pam, don't.)

Tori: Most of what results is CRAP, but that's half the fun. They expect crap. I have no idea what I would write either. I think that's part of it, just letting go, concentrating on hitting the word count goal w/o worry about the content.

Me: Hmmm ...I don't know...the time commitment.. the fiction thing. I wouldn't even know what to write about... (See, here again, that inner voice of reason)

Tori: We could encourage, commiserate, celebrate, procrastinate with each other! We could set small rewards for goals met. We could celebrate huge if we succeed. It would involve carbs....lots and lots of carbs...and alcohol {and maybe strippers}

Me: drooling slightly..Carbs? Oh my. Dang it all, she KNOWS I'm in the carb-less hell of Phase 1 on the South Beach Diet! (This is when I start to hum  a little. My inner-voice is still talking but I can't quite make out what it's saying. )

Tori: Maybe something surprising would come out of it, ya know. Bragging rights that you wrote a novel is one! No pressure really... I could do it alone I guess...I'd still luv ya...

Oh no! Poor Tori, I can't let her be alone in this.  (My inner-voice is now screaming bloody murder, "She LIKES being alone! She WANTS to be alone! Let her do it .. ALL alone!!!)

Me humming loudly..Well,  I guess it might be fun...and if there's carbs involved and they really just expect drivel... then, ...Okay, I'm in.   (My inner voice is now crazily rattling around  in my mental cupboards looking for a VERY sharp knife with which to cut off my two typing fingers.....)


I am not really a writer, I am a yammerer (this probably isn't a word, but you get the idea). My mind flits around like a butterfly, never landing in one place for too long. I think that's why I enjoy blogging. An idea comes, I ruminate on it for awhile, spit it out into the blogosphere and viola! I'm done and it's gone, never needing to be thought about again.

But another thing about me..I'm faithful. Once I tell ya I'm there, I am (just usually 15 to 20 minutes late).
I told Tori I would do this, and so I will. I will write a REALLY crappy, confusing, jumbled novel in 30 days time. So here I go:   "It was a dark and stormy night..."

Sounds fun... doesn't it? :-/
Care to join us?

17 comments:

Terry said...

In reading your blog, it doesn't look to me like writing a novel would be a lot different from blogging. You just come up with a theme or plot and creatively blog on it. That I can already see you do very well. Maybe the Greek Muses Melpomene, the Muse of Tragedy, or Thalia, the Muse of Comedy, will shed a little inspiration in your direction.

Lee said...

There are so many bloggers doing this! I will not be one of them!!

Beth P. said...

How very cool! I have not heard of this before and may be interested in the future, but November is NOT my month to take up something like that. Good luck!! I bet it will be awesome!

tori said...

you are a brave and maybe slightly insane woman. that's what I love about you.

I Wonder Wye said...

Stopping over from SITS b/c I saw your horse photo and we have a wild mustang sanctuary so I wanted to see what yours is all about. Love the design, too. I dunno -- I'm a writer but not up to the Nov novel thing -- but good luck; I know several others choosingt o do it......I think I will stick to getting back to a novel......

Lori said...

Wow...yep, that's an endeavor. Good luck with it!

Stopping by from SITS...

Lori
www.petersonstlouis.com

Dee said...

OMG its that time again.Nanowrimo

Every year I say I'll give it a try but somehow it seems too daunting.

Visiting again from SITS

Unknown said...

Good for you for making the commitment! Interested in seeing how it all turns out. Following you now (thanks for stopping by and commenting at my place).

Anonymous said...

You are one brave soul! Terry in the first comment does make a lot of sense. Keep us updated.

Keith said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting at my blog. It was great to hear from you. I hope you will visit again soon. I really like your blog. Hope your week started off well. Cheers!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

hahahah! I'm doing it, too. But I"m starting from the beginning of the one I started last year. Hope to work to the end.

Don't worry - it will be an incredible experience.

Maggi said...

This is a neato idea, thanks for posting the link! And thanks for visiting my blog, I appreciate your comment! :D

Good luck with your novel!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Visiting from SITS....I say You Go Girl!
50,000 words....30 days....typing not talking.....LOTS of carbs and coffee!

Alex the Girl said...

Sounds like you have the inner workings of one already at hand. Just write about life and call it fiction. Sometimes fiction is easier to believe anyway~

My knight wears faded Carharts as well. He'd freeze w/o them.

Thanks for stopping by this week and sharing my FB SiTS day!

Cid said...

What great idea. Don't know if I could do it since it would take away from my blog reading time but ... hmmmm, "it was the best of times, it was the worst ..." Love your yammering.

HalfAsstic.com said...

HI! You commented on my site back in October and my husband was in the hospital and I didn't get around to following you to your site until now! Heh heh... I'm glad I did. I will enjoy seeing you work through this thing that I wish I was gutsy enough to do!

Controlling My Chaos said...

I can so relate to this. Blogging for me is mental vomiting.